I've been working on make a cheese "bread" sticks out of a cauliflower crust for a while now, and I think I've finally got it down! I brought a batch to work and everyone was surprised to learn what they were made out of. If you're following a low carb or gluten free diet these guys are a must!
**One head of cauliflower will yield two batches-This is reflected in the ingredient list below
One Head of Fresh Cauliflower
2 1/2 cups of shredded cheese (I used Cheddar Jack)
4-5 Cloves of Garlic cut into small pieces
4 Tbs Olive Oil
2 tsp Oregano
2 tsp Garlic Salt
2 tsp Parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Cut cauliflower in florets
- Place florets into boiling water for 15 minutes or until soft
- Place cooked florets into a colander and mash with hands until you get a rice-like texture (it's important to get out as much water as possible)
- Place half of mashed cauliflower into a large mixing bowl and add 1 cup of shredded cheese, 2-3 pieces of garlic, 1 egg, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp garlic salt, 1 tsp parsley, and salt and pepper to taste, and mix well with hands
- Place mixture onto a prepared baking sheet and press into a rectangle shape
- Bake for 15 minutes or until edges start to brown
- In a small bowl mix together 2 Tsp olive oil and 1 clove of garlic
- Brush olive oil and garlic mixture onto baked cauliflower crust
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese onto crust and place back into oven until cheese melts-about 1-2 minutes
*Don't forget to prepare your baking sheeting! If you don't these guys will stick and burn. If you have parchment (NOT wax) paper around I recommend using it.
*It's easier to cut the "bread" sticks with a pizza cutter while they're still on the cookie sheet then pull them off a few at a time.